Pages

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

I still can't believe I did this!


There it is, folks. THE father - daughter dance. I know what you are thinking, "Katie, you got that idea from YouTube." You are exactly right my friend.

This all started on Spring Break 2010. While everybody I knew was getting a tan (still bitter) I was home doing wedding plans. I mean, it was amazing, don't get me wrong, but you know how I am about being tan :).

I was watching YouTube videos on the couch in the kitchen. My dad had to see what was so funny to me. This is where it all began, this is where we got our inspiration. Let me tell you a little background info about me and my dad. I'll start with my dad.

Ronald Lee Albertsen: Ronald's nickname is "The Rizz," "Rizzle" or most commonly known as "Rizz." He is the friendliest of folks. He is a human teddy bear. My dad is my best friend. My dad has a humorous side (obviously), but the serious side takes reign most of the time. My dad is the financial advisor for UPS. Ron is big time. He travels all over the world for business. Ron likes the same foods, same TV shows (and when I say TV shows, I mean FOX news), he wears the same outfit when he gets home from work, and he loves the same woman every day. He is a family man. He is a typical Type A personality. He is NEVER late. If we are NOT 15 minutes early to church, so he can read the bulletin leisurely of course, he is PISSED. He still can't grasp the idea of designer jeans. He thinks that paying more than $40 dollars for denim is, in his words, verbatim, "ludicrous."

... so my dad WILLINGLY wanting to do this bust out dance, well, surprised me aka threw me out of my chair aka made my die laughing aka had me confused. WE HAD TO DO IT.

Me: I love to be goofy. I LOVE making a fool of myself. I love to dance. If I have anything to drink, I IMMEDIATELY start to dance. I love to have a good time. Laughing is my middle name, yadda yadda you get it!

... so me wanting to do this dance, well I'm sure none of my friends were surprised. I WOULD do something like that.


So the week before the wedding we started to practice. The DJ at our wedding has been one of my best friends since high school, so he was so excited. When I started teaching Rizz the steps to Soldier Boy's "Crank That", I thought he was a lost cause. But, he came around. He was determined to get the steps. I even tried to simplify the steps for him... still tricky, but nonetheless, I told him to just "freestyle" if you forget. If you watched the video, you'll see some :)

The day of the wedding arrives. I get a knock on my bedroom door at 8:00am. knock, knock. It's my daddy. He wants to hug me and of course... wants to practice. We do an acapella version of "Crank That" as we practice the dance in my bedroom. We do it very quietly because there are a million relatives in my house. I feel good. Rizz feels good. We are ready for reception time!

Reception comes... we do a successful bust out!

PS - It was a complete SURPRISE. Andrew (the groom, if you're stupid) didn't even know!!!


Well, Rizz, you were incredible and I will always be... your little girl. Promise.


No comments:

Post a Comment