Pages

Friday, July 16, 2010

Radical

Andrew and I are starting to read books together. We started with the book "Radical" by David Platt. There should be a warning on the cover of this book titled, "Prepare to be blown away."

After reading every chapter, I'm either crying or praying more and more that the Lord gives me an even more authentic faith. I turn to the Bible and see where Jesus requires us to pick up our cross and carry it. We are to sell our possessions and follow him. We are to abandon everything we have... with joy! We are to go to the nations and make disciples. But do we really do all this... for the sake of Christ?

I love the quote by Jim Elliot,

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."

I think it gets easy in America to read something like that and just move on. He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep. Nothing in this life remains, but our relationship with Christ. Why cling to things of this world? America makes materialism so easy, so beautiful, and so desirable. Money is the reason most Americans wake up every day.

There are so many people that do not live like us. What are we going to do about it? Andrew and I are praying that the Lord guides us as we pray to the Lord. Our life is an open book to him.

I pray if you are reading this, the Lord would grip your heart, and draw you to closer intimacy with him.

I understand this post is so much different than my other ones (all 4 of them!) I love telling funny stories, and I will continue to do so, but I will also share my thoughts on the Lord. After all, God is Love and he is the center of the "Love Nest."

I want to end with a quote from the book Radical.

"Here we stand amid an American dream dominated by self - advancement, self - esteem, and self - sufficiency, by individualism, materialism, and universalism. Yet, I want you to show you our desperate need to revisit the words of Jesus, to listen to them, to believe them, and to obey them. We need to return with urgency to a biblical gospel, because the cost of not doing so is great for our lives, our families, our churches, and the world around us." - David Platt

No comments:

Post a Comment